I made some homemade sweets this Easter. These are very easy to make & they just smelt on the tongue, both chocolate marzipan eggs and meringues.
- Squeeze some orange and lemon to marzipan to make it juicy & tasty. (Important to have a good marzipan, the one with a high percentage of almonds). I added a little bit of yellow food-color also to make it look even more like egg yolks.
- Roll marzipan into small eggs (Léon was responsible for this job).
- Take white marzipan and cover the yellow marzipan with a thin layer.
- Smelt milk chocolate over the boiling water. Dip the “eggs”, so chocolate covers the whole egg. Leave the eggs on a plate to harden. I love milk chocolate when it´s cold. So I put the “eggs” in the fridge for a while.
(Why meringues? I made Béarnaise sauce for entrecôte for dinner, so I had a lot of whites left. Good idea, I thought).
- KitchenAid mixer is perfect for whipping egg whites. Beat until it gets airy & foamy. Sprinkle in sugar a little at a time, while continuing to whip at medium speed. Whip until the mixture becomes stiff & shiny like satin.
- Put the mixture to a pastry bag with a tip on. Pipe the meringue out, making small or bigger sweets on a baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Bake for 2-3 hours. I like having meringues soft inside and crispy outside. So just taste them till they are done.
- Let them cool down.